The Forest Society's 4th annual 5 Hikes Challenge will take place from August 31 to October 31. Hit the trail with your family, friends, or on your own for a do-it-yourself hiking experience. Hike five trails located on Forest Society reservations after choosing from more than 30 properties across the state.
This year, we’ve partnered with Concord Hospital to present the challenge. Together, we’ll share wellness tips to keep you motivated throughout the challenge and the science behind the physical and mental benefits of time spent in nature. Plus, we’ve added new destinations to choose from, including Black Mountain, Lost River, and Mount Monadnock.
Registered households will also receive a "Forest Rx" notepad that reminds you to get outside, five printed trail maps with directions and safety info, and access to the challenge on our mobile app, powered by OuterSpatial.
Registration fees support the continued care and protection of these beautiful spaces.
READY, GET SET...
- Register for the 2023 Five Hikes Challenge by clicking REGISTER below.
- Choose up to 5 of the 30+ suggested hiking destinations at our Forest Society Reservations. See our How to Choose Your Five Hikes Page for more details and descriptions, including difficulty and length.
- Fee of $45 for nonmember household to receive notepad and hike guides; Forest Society members participate FREE! (Not sure if you are a member or want to join? Email us! You can also renew or purchase a membership online, starting at $45, and then come back to this page.)
- Receive a Forest Rx notepad and your chosen printed map guides in the mail.
- Optional: Download the Forest Society Mobile App, powered by OuterSpatial, to access digital maps and track your progress on the challenge and the leaderboard. With the app, you can check-in at each destination and post photos from the trail!
- Plan your hikes on your own schedule starting August 31. Recreate responsibly and hike safely by packing the 10 essentials and following the hiker's code of responsibility.
- Share your adventures. Take a selfie at each of your destinations and tag us on Facebook (@ForestSociety) and Instagram (@ForestSociety) with #5HikesChallenge as you hit the trail. We use the honor system to track completion — you don't need to email your selfie photos (though we'd love to see and share). Everyone will receive a sticker after the challenge ends on October 31.